We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

Notifications
Clear all

Very Fragrant Plants  

RSS

Sarah Gooding
(@sarahj)
Sprout Registered
06/08/2020 6:21 am  

Anyone have any ideas for super fragrant plants for a border areas? They area is next to a fence and receives full sun part of the day. They can be flowers, herbs, or anything. Thanks.

Western North Carolina, Zone 7

Nan Schiller
(@nanschiller)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
09/08/2020 4:23 pm  

Hi Sarah -

You might try 'Julia Child,' a floribunda rose with a sweet licorice fragrance that is suited to your growing zone and full sun to part shade.

This post was modified 4 days ago by Allison Sidhu

ReplyQuote
Rose Kennedy
(@rosekennedy)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
10/08/2020 7:17 pm  

Hi Sarah! Western Carolina's not too far from me, and I have a very tiny cabin that's part of a campground in Cherokee, N.C. Can't grow much of anything since it's so shady there, but I have some suggestions based on my Knoxville garden!

First, I would heartily recommend garden pinks, which are relatives of carnations and have a similar spicy, sweet aroma. I like them because they're easy to grow, can thrive in part shade, and flower all season long.  And they're perennials, always a plus. 

In the "less expected" category, I think chocolate mint is a good choice. When it rains, you can smell ours from the back porch though it's growing in the side yard. The leaves are aromatic, and the mini-purple blooms attract pollinators, so they do double duty.

They are super sprawling, though, so I would plant them either within a pot under the soil, or tuck pots of them into the border. They're easy to propagate from cuttings, so you'll have room to experiment. 

Happy gardening! 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!