We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

Welcome to the Hous...

Notifications
Clear all

Welcome to the Houseplant Forum!

Adam Wertz
(@adam-wertz)
Sapling Admin
Topic starter  

Welcome to the houseplant forum! Make new threads and ask questions and post photos showing off your pretty houseplants.

Central Missouri, Zone 6a

MaryAnnM
(@maryannmiller)
Sprout Registered

Hello. I’m new to the group and wanted more info about addressing legginess of my Persian Shield. I brought it inside this fall since it was too pretty with the ivy to toss. It’s certainly not getting enough sun here in Pittsburgh - nor heat and humidity in the house.  

Nan Schiller wrote a post about this and I’d love to connect with her about this. Should I trim off the tops so it fills in underneath? Open to all suggestions.  Many thanks  👍🍀

Southwest PA

ReplyQuote
Nan Schiller
(@nanschiller)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert

Hi MaryAnn -

You can definitely pinch back the leggy stems for a more compact form.

To increase humidity, try placing the pot on a bed of stones in a plastic or glass pan. Add just enough water to the pan to cover the stones. As the water evaporates, it raises the ambient humidity.

I'd also like to refer you to our article, 13 of the Best Grow Lights for Indoor Gardens . Perhaps you might find one to use for increased light during your plant's time indoors.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!