We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

Notifications
Clear all

Peppers!  

RSS

Matt Suwak
(@mattsuwak)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
24/09/2020 2:44 pm  

I've been really digging into peppers the last few years and would love to grow some new varieties, especially spicy ones. This year I've got a motley mix of cayenne, long horns, thai chili, ghost, and jalapeno. The long horn are some of the most prolifically growing peppers I've ever grown, and super tasty. About the heat level of a jalapeno but with a nice sweetness to them too. Anyone growing any other peppers, especially spicy ones? Or anyone want to try some of these?

Rose Kennedy
(@rosekennedy)
27/09/2020 4:35 pm  

Not at all familiar with longhorns! They look like a great choice for me here in sweltering (still sweltering, yes, this is September!) Knoxville, Tennessee. 

I grow hot and sweet banana peppers for the same reason. They are effortless and prolific.

This year is the first I've been water-bath canning a new mix with hot peppers called "Singapore Sauce." It is absolutely wonderful on grilled chicken, hamburgers, subs, or vegetables, or mixed into a little ketchup, mayo, or plain yogurt for a dipping sauce. Hot? You betcha, but sweet, too.

Here are the basic instructions, adapted from the https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/?tag=prettyac-2 0" target="true">"Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving."

Ingredients for six half-pint jars to freeze or can:

2 1/2 cups white vinegar

2 1/2 cups granulated sugar

4 cups chopped hot red chili peppers (I use hot banana and a couple cayennes)

1 1/2 cups sultana, golden, or California raisins, or currants

12 cloves of chopped garlic

2 teaspoons ginger powder or pie spice (make sure it's fresh)

2 teaspoons salt

Instruction:

1. Combine vinegar and sugar in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium and boil for three minutes.

2. Add chilis, raisins or currants, garlic, ginger or pie spice, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to medium and boil mixture for about five minutes.

3. Ladle sauce into freezer-safe containers. Let it come to room temperature if you're not using glass. Leave at least an inch of headspace for expansion. Or, follow the manufacturer's instructions to water-bath can the mixture while it's still hot. It should yield about six cups.

ReplyQuote
Kristina Hicks-Hamblin
(@kristinahickshamblin)
28/09/2020 10:12 pm  

Hey @mattsuwak, thanks for mentioning long horns. I've never heard of those - they sound tasty, we'll have to try them! Have you ever grown black hungarian peppers?

They are my husband's favorite hot pepper - and the come on beautiful plants too, the leaves are purple-ish.

Our pepper crop got chewed down by grasshoppers this year, and then grew back, but our first frosts are already here, and they aren't going to have much time to produce - not our usual prolific pepper harvest.

As for the black hungarian peppers - they are mild when they're black, but then get firey when they turn red. My favorite hot peppers are the ones that have a lot of fruitiness along with their heat, like habaneros.

ReplyQuote
Matt Suwak
(@mattsuwak)
01/10/2020 2:36 pm  

We've got a couple peppers in containers on our deck, they produced fairly well but look so stressed compared to the ones in our garden beds. I think next year it's going to be just the beds and not the containers. Now to find someone to take a couple nursery pots off my hands...

I've never tried the black hungarian peppers but they sound awesome, I feel like maybe I've seen them in neighboring beds? 

We're on opposite sides of the pepper spectrum, I like my peppers to be more grassy than fruity. I've picked more than a couple cayenne and long horns before they were ready because I like that bit of bitter in the flavor haha.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!