We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

Does my Croton have...

Notifications
Clear all

Does my Croton have Anthracnose?  

RSS

Glitter Pollution
(@ltreed3)
Sprout Registered
27/09/2020 10:35 pm  

Ok so I wrote an entire post for my first topic submission, went to take a few photos to go along with it, and when I came back, my entire post was gone. So now I’m starting over, and I’m agitated that I have to do it all over, so I’ll post an intro when I get over being mad. lol 

Do you think my plant has this issue? (There are 2 separate ones in this pot)

Thanks in advance!!

686279CA 5B0B 4CD1 9AA3 A83093014451
A7230843 F623 40F6 A978 0905E8DDE4F1
E7614F3C B29E 4E58 B1C6 527792BB7406

Your new Sprout friend, 

Glitter Love Kiss  

Eastern Pennsylvania

Nan Schiller
(@nanschiller)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
28/09/2020 5:52 pm  

Hi Glitter -

We apologize for your vanishing post and are so glad you've given it another try. Welcome! 

The light brown spots on your croton's beautiful leaves may be due to an overly dry indoor environment. If this is the problem, daily misting may increase the humidity sufficiently to resolve it.

If misting does not result in fewer brown patches, anthracnose may be the problem.

Remove all affected leaves and discard them.

Take your plant outdoors on a mild day and apply a copper-based fungicide per package instructions. Such products are for garden use, and not intended for confined spaces.

Do not bring the plant back inside until it is completely dry. Under no circumstances should you apply the fungicide while the plant is indoors. Copper is a heavy metal that must be used with care. 

ReplyQuote
Glitter Pollution
(@ltreed3)
Sprout Registered
06/10/2020 3:16 am  

@nanschiller

Hi Nan!

Thanks so much for your reply! I snipped off the leaves with the spots and then I noticed a very small web in between the main stem and a leaf stem. Uh oh. Spider mites? Or just plain old tiny spiders? I have a detached, screened in sunroom and I swear there are webs at some place or another every single day. Ugh. Shudder. I hate them so much! Anyway, I wiped off the leaves (getting pretty dusty) and then  I sprayed the plant all over with Neem Oil. It’s actually looking good now, except 4 leaves at the bottom of the one that had the spots, are pointing downward. That plant usually does that when it’s thirsty, so I added miracle grow liquid fertilizer to the water and watered it really good. Those 4 leaves are STILL pointing down. The leaf stem appears to have grown that way, rather than drooping. So far in the last two days, I haven’t seen any more webs. Thanks again for your insight! Now I’m off to the Christmas Cactus!

Eastern Pennsylvania

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!