We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

Help please identif...

Notifications
Clear all

Help please identifying whats wrong with my roses  

RSS

Gardener NZ
(@joa)
Sprout Registered
09/09/2020 11:53 pm  

Hi all, I am impressed with knowledge and support.

I am in NZ and I am needing help identify what is happening to my roses this year. NZ has just started spring and so my roses are starting to sprout. However about half of them have a problem. We are still having frosts, so I was wondering if that has affected their new growth? Or is it something more sinister.. 🙁

Rose 1
Rose 2

New Zealand

Nan Schiller
(@nanschiller)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
10/09/2020 6:20 pm  

Hello -

Your rose may have rose rosette disease, common in New Zealand. It is a mite-borne virus that deforms plants, giving them a "witch's broom" appearance. Sadly, there is no cure. Affected plants should be dug out and disposed of in the trash. Please confirm this with an expert landscaper or the experts at your local nursery before taking action. I lost a Knockout rose to the disease this summer here in Southeastern PA.

ReplyQuote
Gardener NZ
(@joa)
Sprout Registered
11/09/2020 4:15 am  

@nanschiller

Thank you, sadly I wondered about that. If has affected about 15 of my roses...some had a lot of sentimental value 🙁

New Zealand

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!