We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

Part of my roses' b...

Notifications
Clear all

Part of my roses' branches turning yellow  

RSS

Ally
 Ally
(@itscy)
Sprout Registered
27/09/2020 6:33 pm  

First time growing roses. Some branches of my rose are turning yellow and the leaves on them all died. But the other branches are looking fine. I have a 2 gallon per hour dripper on for 10 minutes 3 times a week for each plant. Have fertilized them in late spring. Outdoor temperature recently is 60-97F. What could be the cause of the yellow branches and brown leaves?

Also on the good branches, I no longer see blooms, but am seeing the flowers turn brown in the buds. Is that normal?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Attaching pictures of the yellow branch and brown flower.

PXL 20200926 231905306.MP
PXL 20200926 231853489

Northern California. USDA Hardiness Zones 9a, 9b, 10a and 10b.

Kristine Lofgren
(@kristinelofgren)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
29/09/2020 11:10 pm  

Hi Ally, welcome to the wonderful world of roses! 

First off, I'll tell you that cane die-off is extremely common. It can be caused by all kinds of things, from simple old age to diseases, insects, drought, too much water, or a genetic predisposition. 

That said, it looks like you have a few things going on with your roses. 

In the first picture, I see evidence that you've been visited by leafcutter bees. These bees take a chunk an elliptical chunk out of your rose leaves. These are actually beneficial insects and they don't stick around too long, so they might have already left your garden. But if they do enough damage to the leaves, they can cause a bit of stress. 

The second problem, and the one that is likely causing the cane die-off and brown roses is what looks like a case of botrytis blight. It's a common fungus that thrives in the warmth and humidity. 

Your best bet is to prune away any infected flowers and dying canes. Then, be sure to clean up any fallen leaves (the fungus can survive on any plant material in the ground throughout the winter and come back next year). Don't fertilize at all during the summer next year (as you did this year). Good job irrigating at the soil level! That's another thing that we recommend if you have this problem. 

Don't worry, botrytis is a problem that many gardeners come across and you can defeat it with some diligence. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!