We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

Stay beautiful! A k...

Notifications
Clear all

Stay beautiful! A knock out rose demonstrating how to keep hanging tough  

RSS

Rose Kennedy
(@rosekennedy)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
07/06/2020 10:14 pm  
06 20 lone knock out rose

Because I live in the South and this is a hardy Knock-Out Rose, it's already bloomed profusely this season. The rest of the bush is forming rose hips or dying back to prepare for another round of blooming. This one bright bloom is following its own schedule, however. It was a welcome boost of color on a dreary day--and a reminder that beauty can pop up anywhere, anytime. Glad I spotted it.

Topic Tags
Matt Suwak
(@mattsuwak)
17/09/2020 2:48 pm  

Nice rose! I've got three in the back (they were there when we moved in) and though I've never been much into roses, they do offer consistent color. Except for one, I think it's been under the willow tree for too long...

Do you prune yours? I usually hack mine back in the springtime when we've had a stretch of decent days here in Philly.

ReplyQuote
Nan Schiller
(@nanschiller)
19/09/2020 3:30 pm  

Your rose bush is beautiful. I lost my Knockout here in the Philly suburbs to rose rosette disease this year. It was totally disease resistant for about 10 years and then the roses in our neighborhood started to show the typical witch's broom growth, mite infestation, and deformities. My neighbors and I have cut our bushes way back, but as the disease is incurable, we are just delaying the inevitable digging out. Matt, any advice would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Matt Suwak
(@mattsuwak)
25/09/2020 1:37 pm  

Sadly there isn't much that can be done except to tear them out. So far as I know it there is no cure or effective treatment for rosette disease, unless something new has emerged on the market or in trials. It's a shame, one of mine has it too so removing that plant will be one of my chores for the day 🙁

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!