We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Here is more about what we do.

High Desert Gardene...

Notifications
Clear all

High Desert Gardener  

RSS

desertdeb
(@desertdeb)
Sprout Registered
09/08/2020 5:48 pm  

Hello everyone! I garden in zone 9a in the high desert region of SoCal in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. Tough to garden in the desert sands but water does miracles. My issues are dry heat, strong winds, a single shade tree where I do all my gardening and ground squirrels. I am a farm girl stuck in the desert raising a few hens and fighting off the squirrels. I love growing things, saving seeds, preserving foods and farm animals.

9a

Topic Tags
Adam Wertz
(@adam-wertz)
Sapling Admin
10/08/2020 3:59 am  

Welcome Deb!

Central Missouri, Zone 6a

ReplyQuote
Kristina Hicks-Hamblin
(@kristinahickshamblin)
Sprout Staff Gardening Expert
10/08/2020 2:41 pm  

Hi Deb! I'm another high desert gardener, though in a different high desert - NE Utah. One of the biggest challenges I find gardening in this climate is the lack of organic matter for composting. Compost really helps with the sandy soil - I can see the difference in our planting beds that have been heavily amended with compost and sheep manure and those that haven't. Anyway, welcome!

ReplyQuote
Rose Kennedy
(@rosekennedy)
10/08/2020 7:42 pm  

Welcome, Deb! I can't wait to read your posts, especially about those hens!

Lots of your experience will probably seem exotic to me since I'm here in the South, but I'm definitely in solidarity against the squirrels. Please do share some photos when you get a chance. I'm sure your tales will make me stop feeling sorry for myself when I have to deep water in the mere 97-degree heat after just 5-6 days with no rain... Smile

ReplyQuote
Kristine Lofgren
(@kristinelofgren)
11/08/2020 12:28 am  

Hey, Deb - welcome! I remember the challenges of the high desert well. I was raised in Utah. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures. 

ReplyQuote
Laura Melchor
(@lauramelchor)
16/08/2020 2:18 am  

Welcome, Deb! While I live in Zone 4 now, I went to college in southern CA and understand how hot and dry it can get there. How are your plants holding up during this heat wave?

ReplyQuote
Share:

Read Our Latest Plant and Gardening Guides!